Sunday, January 6, 2008

Happy new year and shit.

Hey. Happy 2008. I spent New Year's Eve sick. I watched the Simpsons, then 10 minutes of Family Guy, and was fast asleep on the couch at 10:40. Yet another lame NYE. It's okay. I'm used to it.




Movie Review: Juno

Pretty darn cute altogether.

This movie got a lot of press in my town because the writer (Diablo Cody) is originally from Mpls. And quite honestly, I was pretty annoyed by her after seeing articles in every city magazine and newspaper I've read (not to mention the national mags I read).

However, I still wanted to see the movie, so last night I did.

Once you get through the obnoxiously overwritten first 20 minutes, Juno turns into a really sweet, well-done little film. Ellen Page is charming, Michael Cera very nearly steals several scenes, and Allison Janney and J.K. Simmons as Juno's bewildered parents? Fantastic. Very Minnesotan without being MinneSOHtan.

I don't know where the fast-paced totally unreal dialogue finally gave way to understated charming REAL conversations, but I was relieved. I was hoping I hadn't dragged my single straight male friend to a girly poppy teen pregnancy movie.

I give it 4 and 1/4 stars out of five. It lost one quarter of a star for the first 20 minutes, and another half a star for the crappy ass soundtrack.

No comments: