Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Hooray for Hollywood!

The 80th Annual Academy Awards was boring as hell. As usual.


Jon Stewart was adorable, though. And Helen Mirren just about knocked my socks off. And Javier Bardem may show up in my dirtier dreams from now on... Tilda Swinton is so weird and beautiful and a little scary. Johnny Depp is still rocking the mid-nineties hair and glasses combo, and it's a-ok with me.




I went to Zosia's house for the festivities. It feels like we've been doing this since the beginning of time, though I can probably count on one hand the number of Oscar broadcasts we've seen together. Through middle and high school we were in different countries, in college we had similar but not quite the same sets of friends... yet it's the most natural thing in the world to roll up to her place on a Sunday night and curl up on her couch and boo at the boring and/or stupid speeches, or gasp at the ridiculously beautiful women in their ridiculously beautiful gowns.


I love the Oscars, even if they are boring. I love the orchestra and the twelve montages, the requisite animated character presenting an award, the lame musical numbers. I just love 'em.

No comments: